July 13, 2018

Candy from Canada - Nice to Meet You!

Hello! My name is Candy and I'm from Vancouver, Canada.
For the next 6 weeks I will be staying at Toucheng Leisure Farm as an International Intern through AIESEC (a non-profit organization that sends young people abroad for volunteer and internships). I am ecstatic to share my experiences with you!

My new friend, Golden (the farm's beloved dog)


My EP buddy, Niki from FJU (left) and Charlie from Laurier (right) 
picked me up from the airport and brought me to the farm.

The night I arrived, I was greeted by the farm's dog, Golden, and my roommate, Ta from Thailand. The night sky was lit with gorgeous sky lanterns and a lively group of children were outside having a bond fire. Tina, my manager on the farm, bought McDonald's for me because I had missed dinner --xiexie!

The next day, Ta and I were given a day off to settle in and explore the farm. In the morning we helped David with his cooking lesson. We taught the kids how to make dumplings, fish ball soup, and vegetable rolls. After their meal the kids had naptime (a bit of a culture shock for me --I never had naptime growing up)!

In the late afternoon we made a 30-minute trek to the closest convenience store (7-11) and stocked up on some snacks and supplies --although it wasn't necessary as I later found out the gift store at the farm sells the same products. It was good exercise though. 😅

That night, Tina and her husband Jacky (the farm owner) drove us to Waiao Beach for a concert. Along the beach, they had market stalls lined up with food and drinks. Our Taiwanese friends, Lily and Kamilla helped us translate as Ta and I could not understand Chinese. I had no expectations going to the beach but I was impressed by the number of people that attended. There were also some famous Taiwanese artists that made an appearance. Aaron Yan was especially popular among the crowd.

We arrived at dusk
I attended the concert with my new friends from the farm.
 Kamilla (2nd from left), Ta (2nd from right) and Lily (right).

Aaron Yan was the last performer 😍

It was a night to remember. From being packed into a crowd of fangirls (and fanboys), to running back to catch our ride before the concert ended, I had a blast!!

See you in the next post~
-Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment