August 15, 2012

Hi there, this is Niklas from Germany!

Hey everybody!

I am Niklas from Germany and the "new" intern at Toucheng Leisure Farm. Although I have been here for 10 days already, this is my first post on our blog. Now why did it take me so long to publish it?



Actually, I am wondering myself. I had barely landed at Taoyuan airport and settled in on the bus, heading for Toucheng Farm, when a complete stranger unsolicitedly handed me his smartphone telling me to message my girlfriend, if I had one, or post on Facebook that I have arrived.
So I guess I could have used any chance to ask people for their smartphone any time to write this post. That is, because Taiwanese, in general, are all kind and willing to help, the Taiwanese on the bus, for example, later also took me to the train station, bought my ticket for me and even handed me money, although I told him I was carrying enough with me.

On the train, for a moment I felt like my plane had taken me to the wrong destination. The train itself totally packed with passengers and every station we passed completely overcrowded, reminded me of images of trains in India. Nevertheless, after we left behind the shear endless jungle of buildings in and around Taipei, and continued our journey through deep green mountains. That view finally gave me certainty: This must be the green island, Formosa, like the Portugese had called Taiwan.


The impressions from my trip were to get stronger as I arrived at the farm. The above picture, my first glance at the farm, will be one of the most memorable ones from my stay here.
I already fell in love with the rich, never sleeping wildlife and the overwhelming flora of this place and I am really glad to see the many ways in which Toucheng Farm attempts to preserve and protect this unique environment.

Visitors of this place mostly seem to have a very good time. They are so relaxed that some even start chatting with me, regardless of my not understanding much of their Chinese.
Also, I think that my colleagues are very nice and they would like to talk with me, even though they are busy. I am really looking forward to getting more familiar with this place and all the nice people here!

So long, thanks for the fish,

Niklas
                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment